Sunday, February 17, 2008

Doughnut French Toast


During this week I woke up in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep. So I turned on the tv and watched last weeks episode of Nigella Express. She made this Doughnut French toast. So when I got up for work in the morning, I just had to try it. It was really good. On Saturday I made it for Daniel, he liked it as well. This recipe is for one, so just increase to how many people you are making this for. This is in the Nigella Express Cookbook.


Doughnut French Toast

Ingredients:
1 egg
2 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup white sugar
1 slice bread cut in half
1 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. oil

Directions:
Combine egg, milk, vanilla in large flat bowl. Mix well.
Place bread in bowl and let it soak up egg mixture on first side then the other.
In fry pan add butter and oil, when hot add the bread slices.
Cook until browned on both sides.
Remove from pan and place in white sugar, coat on both sides.

Place on plate add a bit of butter and add maple syrup.
Nigella did make a strawberry sauce:
4 to 5 strawberries
place in blender
add icing sugar 1/4 cup
a squirt of lemon juice
blend together and then pour over french toast

12 comments:

Rosemary said...

You are making me hungry , they look so good.
I am going to make these for my granddaughters this week.

Jannett said...

r...I hope they enjoy them. :)

Knatolee said...

Oh my, this looks wonderful! I'm enjoying your blog.

Jannett said...

knatolee...thank you for your comments. :)

Thistlemoon said...

That looks so good - good enough for dessert! ;)

Emily said...

As soon as I saw the title of this post, I was like, "YES!"

Jannett said...

jenndz-the leftover queen...you know you could almost eat it for dessert. :)

emiline..... anything thing with donut is good.... I agree. :)

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

That's how I usually make my french toast. What does it have to do with doughnuts? lol

Jannett said...

How to eat a cupcake... Nigella ... added extra vanilla to this recipe. I believe it gives you the flavour of donuts...with the sugar coating outside..the french toast. :)
Thanks for the comment.

Jannett said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cookie baker Lynn said...

Watching food TV in the middle of the night is dangerous. You dream food all night and wake up desperately wanting it. Your french toast looks worth waking up for.

Jannett said...

Cookie baker lynn.....I hope you were not disappointed ... I really like it....made a a few times since... thanks for the comment... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails