Monday, May 3, 2010

Blueberry cheesecake Shortbread Bars


Once again I have picked a recipe from 1500 Best Bars, Cookies, Muffins, Cakes & More. This cookbook by Esther Brody is great, every time you look through it you find another recipe you would like to try. These bars were very good. We made the preserves with fresh (well frozen from last year) blueberries. They were cooked down to a jam like consistency .

Blueberry Cheesecake Shortbread Bars

Ingredients:

Base:

2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter

Topping:

2 pkg. (8oz./250g) cream cheese, softened
3/4 sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup blueberry preserves

Crumble Topping

Reserve about 1/4 cup of base.

Directions:

Preheat oven 350ยบ
Grease 9 X 13" baking pan

Prepare base:

Reserve about 1/4 cup for crumble topping.

In a medium bowl combine flour, brown sugar and salt.
Cut in cold butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.

Press this mixture into prepared baking pan, evenly.
Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Prepare topping:

In your mixer bowl beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
Add eggs one at a time until light and creamy.
Stir in vanilla.

Spread blueberry preserves over hot base.
Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the blueberry preserves.
Add reserved crumble base to top of blueberry preserves.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Place on rack to cool completely.
Cut into bars.
Cover and keep in frig.

Makes 36 bars.

11 comments:

grace said...

is there any fruit more photogenic than the blueberry? i submit that there is not. these bars are gorgeous, jannett, and undoubtedly delicious!

Rosemary said...

Another yummy ! Will be trying this, I wonder about using rhubarb!

Katy ~ said...

I just made a very similar recipe using strawberries, but I'll tell you what....your recipe with the blueberries is 100x more beautiful than mine. I'm making yours next. They look super duper good!

The Cooking Photographer said...

I have been looking for YEARS! Seriously years, for a good blueberry bar. I think this is it. Thank-you Jannett. I'll be making these next week for my husband's work.

Laura

Jannett said...

Thank you ...all for the comments..

I will be trying this recipe with rhubarb ... Rosemary...that sounds great...

grace...very delicious

Katy...Strawberries would also be good in this bar..:)

Cooking Photographer....
I hope they enjoy them .... :)

Unknown said...

I've tried something similar with other fruits. It looks delicious :)

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

These look delicious. The last thing I need to be thinking right now after the gym is cheesecake bars but these are definitely going in my save pile. I cannot wait to try them.

Jaime said...

yum! what's not to love about those?

Brownieville Girl said...

Wow Jannett, these bars look fantastic, looking forward to trying them soon :-}

The Cooking Photographer said...

Jannette did you reserve some of the base for topping or did you leave out the crumble topping? I can't find how the instructions match the picture.

Thanks,
Laura

Jannett said...

the cooking photographer.....I changed the recipe to include to crumble topping from the base.....hope that helps.... :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails