Monday, May 12, 2008

Double Crunch Rhubarb Crumble


This recipe appeared in the Daily Sentinel Review many years ago in Woodstock. Kim Quigley was a food writer for the paper. I had not tried this before this weekend. It was ok. Dan said he liked it. It was easy to prepare.

Double Crunch Rhubarb Crumble

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
pinch salt

1 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup cold water
1 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb

Stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix until crumbly.
Press half of the crumbs over the bottom and up side of a greased 9-inch baking dish.



Blend together sugar and cornstarch in saucepan. Stir in water and whisk out any lumps. Bring to a boil, stirring, reduce heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until thick, smooth and clear -- about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat
Stir in vanilla

Spoon rhubarb over bottom layer of baking dish with crumble mixture in bottom. Drizzle cornstarch mixture over the rhubarb and top with remaining crumble.


Bake 350F for 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
Serves 8.

12 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I am not that big into rhubarb, but I bet it would be great with any fruit!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

Jannett said...

Jennydz...you could make it with any fruit I would think.
Thanks for allowing me to rejoin the
Foodie Blogroll again. :)

Hopie said...

I find rhubarb a little tart by itself, but strawberry-rhubarb pie is one my favorites. I bet strawberry-rhubarb crumble would be good too!

Abby said...

I have always wanted to try rhubarb, and have gone so far as to buy it at the Farmers Market just to let it rot! I'm a bad Southerner. Perhaps I'll try this when we're at the beach over Memorial Day!

Dan said...

You should give it a try but it defiantly needs sugar added to it. It is a nice desert following a meal of rich food.

Jannett said...

hopie....rhubarb is tart but enough sugar cures that.. :) .. .. strawberries with the rhubarb is a good combo as well.

Jannett said...

abby....well....I have done that as well...you can freeze rhubarb...it does freeze easily.... Thanks for your comment..

Jannett said...

Dan..thanks for your comment...:)

simplylove said...

Yummy yum, looks like a great way to enjoy rhubarb!

Thanks for your comment :)

Rosanne said...

Such a timely and yummy looking recipe!

Jannett said...

simplylove....thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment... :)

rosanne...I really like rhubarb.... I am waiting for more to be ready to make a pie next. Dan will be making a rhubarb dish today I believe.

thanks for the comments

Jannett said...

simplylove....thanks for stopping by and leaving your comment... :)

rosanne...I really like rhubarb.... I am waiting for more to be ready to make a pie next. Dan will be making a rhubarb dish today I believe.

thanks for the comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails