Monday, May 11, 2009

Cherry Bread


This Cherry Bread recipe comes from the Protestant Ladies Chapel Guild RCAF Station La Macaza, Quebec. My step brother was in the air force and gave me this cookbook one Christmas. It was produced by the wives on the base. It has so many good recipes in it. Over time I will post them for all of you to enjoy as well.
This is the only cherry bread recipe I use. Today, however, I add coconut and milk chocolate chips to it. It was a great addition to the recipe. Everyone that tried it really like it.


Cherry Bread

Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar(I used dark as that is what I had today)
1 egg
2 cups unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking powder
pinch salt
1/4 cup chopped nuts(I did not use)
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup chocolate chips(use whatever kind you like)
small bottle marachino cherries(I used about 1/2 cup cherries, cut in half)
1/4 cup liquid from cherries and add rest of the cup in milk


Directions:

Cream butter and sugar until blended. Add egg and mixture until combined. Sift flour and baking powder and salt. Add liquid and dry ingredients alternately. Stir in cherries, (if you choose to add coconut and chocolate chips add them here as well)
Bake in greased baking pan for 1 hour at 350ยบ. Done when tooth pick comes out clean.


5 comments:

Elyse said...

You know, I've never seen a cherry bread like this, but I cannot wait to try it. The little cookbook sounds so wonderful! I can't wait to see what other recipes you post from it. Sorry that I’ve been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader.

Rosemary said...

This looks very good , think I may tay it with fresh cherries.

Katy ~ said...

Elyse took the words right out of my mouth; I don't think I've ever seen a cherry bread, so this really has caught my attention. I'm saving to try; I have some maraschino cherries that need a little lovin!

Jannett said...

Elyse...you have been very busy studying...are you done now? Will you be going back in the fall?
the cookbook is very used...I should maybe take a photo of it...

Rosemary....the fresh cherries would likely be very good...Let me know how it works....

Katy...I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have over the years...the new additions this time will be made again...

Thanks for the comments

Martha said...

This bread looks yummy and reminds me of a cake my mom makes called banana chocolate swirl. It's basically fancy banana bread with a swirl of chocolate and chopped maraschino cherries.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails